Monday, November 14, 2022

A bird encounter in Tokyo

I had a stroll by the bank of the Sumida River (the biggest river in Tokyo) just around the nightfall. I was walking over the bridge by the old fish market (now turned to a building site) when I stopped to look at the skyline. 

Then I spotted this big gray bird quietly standing still on a concrete slab. If you look carefully at the red markers in the picture, just in the middle of the middle row, you'll see the bird. I think it's a blue heron but could also be a crane, I always mix them up. 

In any case, the bird reminded me something like Japanese wood garvings or ink paintings where they stand motionless before catching their prey. I later saw two of them flying by over the skyline of Tokyo skyscrapers, it was pretty and impressive!

A "goofy" thing is that the water in the picture looks totally smooth. When walking, at one point I realised that there was some commotion and waves. Later I heard that there had been an earthquick around that time. I did't feel anything, but maybe that was it!



No comments: