Position: a full time in-house expert in European Schoolnet (after my PhD)
December 2009- present: Teachers' Lifelong Learning Network (Tellnet)
- To study large-scale socio-technical networks to support teachers' professional development
- A Lifelong Learning Programe Project (KA4). Four project partners.
- Project manager
- Vuorikari, R., Berlanga, A. J., Cachia, R., Cao, Y., Fetter, S., Gilleran, A., Klamma, R., et al. (2011). ICT-Based School Collaboration, Teachers’ Networks and their Opportunities for Teachers’ Professional Development - A Case Study on eTwinning. In H. Leung, E. Popescu, Y. Cao, R. W. H. Lau, & W. Nejdl (Eds.), Advances in Web-based Learning (Vol. LNCS 7048, pp. pp. 112–121). Presented at the ICWL 2011, Hong Kong, China, December 8-10, 2011.: Springer-Verlag.Vuorikari, R., Gilleran, A., & Scimeca, S. (2011). Growing beyond Innovators – ICT-Based School Collaboration in eTwinning. In C. D. Kloos, D. Gillet, R. M. Crespo García, F. Wild, & M. Wolpers (Eds.), Towards Ubiquitous Learning (Vol. 6964, pp. 537–542). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
January 2010- present: eTwinning
- eTwinning is a community for schools in Europe with more than 150000 teachers participating
- Principal investigator on monitoring eTwinning
Vuorikari, R. (2010). eTwinning Report 2010: Teachers’ professional development: an overview of current practice. European Schoolnet.
November 2009-November 2011:
Acer-European Schoolnet's Educational Netbook Pilot (Netbooks.eun.org)
- Project Manager and Principal Investigator (responsibility for completion of the project, directing the research and reporting)
September 2009-June 2011:
Quality Network for a European Learning Resource Exchange (eQNet)
- Project Manager
Position: Working part time in European Schoolnet during my PhD studies (January 2005 - September 2009)
March 2009-November 2010:
January 2008 – September 2009:
Open Educational Resources Teachers' Network (Open TN)
- International project funded by the Hewlett foundation
- Working with a network of international teachers on the "travel well" aspects of learning resources
- Final report: evaluation of teachers' feedback on the "travel well" aspects
October 2006 – December 2008:
Metadata Ecology for Learning and Teaching (MELT)
- eContent Plus project with 18 partners from 13 countries
- Expert on social tagging: specifications of a tagging tool for multilingual learning resources;
- Report: Part II: Folksonomies – state-of-the-art, requirements and use cases for the MELT social tagging tool
- User studies with teachers
- Analysis of the usage of tags and their usefulness for the system:
- Vuorikari, R., & Van Assche, F. (2007). Collaborative content enrichment in multilingual Europe, European Schoolnet approach on educational resources. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Automated Production of Cross Media Content for Multi-Channel Distribution (pp. 85–88). Presented at the Axmedis 2007, Barcelona, Spain: Firenze University Press.
- Vuorikari, R., & Berendt, B. (2009). Study on contexts in tracking usage and attention metadata in multilingual Technology Enhanced Learning. In S. Fischer, E. Maehle, & R. Reischuk (Eds.), Im Focus das Leben, Lecture Notes in Informatics (LNI) (Vol. P-154, pp. 181, 1654–1663). Presented at the Informatik 2009, Lübeck, Germany: Gesellschaft für Informatik.
- Vuorikari, R., & Koper, R. (2009a). Evidence of cross-boundary use and reuse of digital educational resources. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, 4(4), 51–56. doi:http://dspace.ou.nl/handle/1820/1709
- Vuorikari, R., & Koper, R. (2009b). Ecology of social search for learning resources. Campus-Wide Information Systems, 26(4), 272–286. doi:10.1108/10650740910984619
- Vuorikari, R., & Ochoa, X. (2009). Exploratory Analysis of the Main Characteristics of Tags and Tagging of Educational Resources in a Multi-lingual Context. Journal of Digital Information, 10(2). Retrieved from http://journals.tdl.org/jodi/article/view/447
- Vuorikari, R., Sillaots, M., Panzavolta, S., & Koper, R. (2009). Are tags from Mars and descriptors from Venus? A study on the ecology of educational resource metadata. In M. Spaniol, Q. Li, R. Klamma, & R. W. H. Lau (Eds.), Advances in Web-Based Learning - ICWL 2009, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Vol. 5686/2009, pp. 400–409). Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. Retrieved from http://dspace.ou.nl/handle/1820/1849 (BEST PAPER AWARD!)
January 2005 - March 2006 : Learning Interoperability Framework for Europe (Life)
- The aim of the LIFE project was to improve interoperability and the use of standards in the field of eLearning
- Project funded by the DG of Education and Culture
- "Insight: observatory for new technologies and education":
to run a section about interoperability issues to policy-makers (articles in 2005 ; 2006; 2007)
- Study: Can European teachers find curriculum related digital learning resources? (wiki)
- Vuorikari, R. (2004). Methods for Sharing Open Source Content: The School Network’s Perspectives. Didamatica 2004. Ferrara, Italy.
October 2003 - September 2005:
EPortfolio Initiatives Coordination Committee (EPICC)
- A project looking into the potential of e-portfolios.
- An 18-month project funded by the DG Education and Culture in 2003
- Co-ordination and implementation of European Schoolnet's participation in the project (WP)
- Scenario-tool for the use of portfolios in education
- Vuorikari, R. (2005). Can personal digital knowledge artefacts’ management and social networks enhance learning? Proceedings of the ICL2005. Villach, Austria.
Position: a full time in-house expert in European Schoolnet
September 2002 - March 2003:
Study on Virtual Learning Environments for European Schools
- An outlook on the use of Virtual Learning Environments in educational settings in Europe (Over 500 schools and 17 ministries and national agencies responded to surveys)
- Organise and implement the surveys, analyse of the data, final reporting
- Reports available here
- Vuorikari, R. (2003). Virtual Learning Environments in Schools: Overview of Open Source and Open Standards Development in Europe. Proceedings of Online Educa Berlin (pp. 265–268). Presented at the Online Educa, Berlin, Germany: ICWE.
March 2002 - August 2004:
OASIS (Open Architecture and Schools in Society)
- To develop a concept of virtual communities especially suitable for small schools, which do not necessarily have the resources required to implement new technologies on their own.
- FP5 project on IST with 10 partners (education authorities and industry)
- Co-organisation and running the EUN Pilot:
Experimentation report on the EUN Pilot; Implementation and Evaluation report
- "Insight: observatory for new technologies and education":
run a section on interoperability issues for policy-makers (articles in 2003; 2004)
- Work on the area of interoperability,
e.g. Research on School Information Systems;
Investigation of localisation of School Interoperability Framework in Europe;
- Participation in CEN/ISSS workshop on Learning Technologies on issues around SIF
- Vuorikari, R. (2003). Ressources d’apprentissage européennes. Actes de la conférence EIAH 2003 (pp. 31–39). Presented at the EIAH, Strasbourg, France: Paris: INRP. Retrieved from http://archiveseiah.univ-lemans.fr/EIAH2003/Pdf/n006-143.pdf
- Project funded by the DG Education and Culture in 2002
- Working on various quality aspects
- Quality description model, specifications for the implementation of the repository
- VanAssche, F., & Vuorikari, R. (2006). A framework for quality of learning resources. In U. Ehlers & J. Pawlowski (Eds.), Handbook on Quality and Standardisation in E-Learning (pp. 443–456). Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/3-540-32788-6_29
- Anderson, J., Vuorikari, R., Lind, L., McCormick, R., Van Assche, F., Duval, E., Dyson, K., et al. (2005). Thematic dossier: Quality Criteria. Retrieved from http://insight.eun.org/ww/en/pub/insight/thematic_dossiers/qualitycriteria.htm
March 2000 - March 2002:
European Treasury Browser (etb.eun.org)
- To build a metadata network infrastructure for schools in Europe to access educational resource on the Web
- FP5 project on IST with a partnership of 11 education authorities