Friday, August 18, 2023

My sabbatical: Order of importance

At the beginning of my sabbatical I was freaking out about the fact that maybe I'm not able to take advantage of my time, that after a year I will look back and realise I've wasted my prestigious time!!

To preempt that, I invented 4 categories of stuff. 3 of them are "all you can eat"-style activities, so you can do them as often as you want, whereas there's one to be moderated and only performed during scheduled "office hours". 

These "awful stuff-category" activities can also be performed when everything else sucks and things are going badly anyway. In that case, as you already feel miserable, you might as well do such activities (this strategy was invented by a friend, it sounds strange, but it actually works). 

So the time management has been a bit of a worry all along, to be honest, some days I found myself working away, or being immersed in some boring admin stuff, although I was supposed to have a time of my life and enjoy all my liberties. 

One idea was to organise my week so that I have scheduled time slots for all things in all 4 categories. I actually didn't do that, but it's been at the back of my mind at all times, so in a way it maybe did its job in any case.

So today I reviewed my categories and I think they are still pretty right-on. Check them below, what do you think?

 

AWFULL STUFF,
Avoid doing these chores outside the "office hours" otherwise you risk spoiling your sabbatical!!

  • Unemployment stuff, 
  • Admin work to sign-up in the community, social security, 
  • Any insurance stuff (car, health)
  • Taxes in 3 different countries, value-added-tax and all such
  • Deadling with Internet and phone companies
  • Utility bills such as water, electricity, gas
  • Rental contracts and deposits
  • Planning works and maintenance

 BORDERLINE TOPICS

  • Organing trips, booking flights, planning sightseing
  • Dealing w airbnb guests and organise their stay
  • Contracts for work

 
TIME SINKS BUT OK

  • Reading news
  • Checking mails
  • Social media
  • Possible work assignments ( if they ever come!) 
  • Working on projects such as mom's memoires

FUN STUFF

  • Reviewing papres
  • Writing papers
  • Writing to friends (remember to start doing it)
  • Writing diary, blog entries
  • Doing/ curating photos, doing art
  • Talking and spending time w friends and family
  • Horses and yoga, sports 
  • Taking care of plants and garden




No comments: